X-ray of grape stuck in child’s top airway highlights importance of choking hazard safety

An image of a grape stuck in the top of a 5-year old’s airway, went viral on social media when posted by a
blogger and experienced mental health clinician, Angela Henderson.

“He is VERY lucky that part of his airway was open or else this could have ended badly,” she
wrote on Facebook.
By posting it on the social media, the blogger was trying to raise awareness, letting people
know what can happen if you don’t “cut the damn grapes” because not all kids chew their
foods.

Choking is a serious issue. It prevents oxygen from getting to the lungs and the brain. Lack of
oxygen to the brain for more than 4 minutes may cause brain damage or death. It is important
for all people to recognize and know how to handle choking at home and in public places. It is
really important that you teach your children the importance of chewing all the food in their
mouth before they swallow, and not eating when they are in a playground or in a hurry.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *